Tribunnews reporter, Fitri Wulandari
AMPONTOONS.COM, KHARTUM – Sudan’s military ruler or head of the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF), General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has said Saudi Arabia’s ongoing dialogue with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) will not be beneficial without a ceasefire fire.
Al-Burhan’s remarks on Monday came as warring factions held talks in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in a bid to end the bloodshed that has killed hundreds and sparked a mass exodus.
The US-backed dialogue began on Saturday between the SAF and the paramilitary rival RSF.
No progress has been reported so far in the talks focused on the possible introduction of a lasting truce.
“We can discuss an agreement once a permanent ceasefire agreement is reached in Khartoum,” al-Burhan said in a live telephone interview with AlQahera News.
Quoted from Al Jazeera’s page on Wednesday (5/10/2023), he warned that war would spread across Sudan if divisions occurred in Khartoum, the capital of Sudan.
“The situation is stable in all states except Khartoum,” al-Burhan told local Egyptian media.
To avoid being targeted by military forces, he added that the “brutal and oppressive” members of the RSF “sought refuge in civilian homes and service centres”.
A Saudi diplomat who spoke on condition of anonymity said the discussions “have not made much progress”.
Read also: 280 Indonesian citizens still in Sudan, Gus Imin: make sure they are safe and sound
“A permanent ceasefire is not on the table, both sides believe they can win the battle,” the diplomat stressed.
The fighters have previously said they will only try to deal with a ceasefire and humanitarian issues such as safe passage.
But many ceasefires have been broken since the conflict erupted on April 15.
On Monday, al-Burhan said the SAF was seeking a peaceful solution.
Quoted From Many Source